Sunday, May 07, 2006

Blading photos

I finally put my blades on yesterday, then went for a blade from the UES to Battery Park and back. I can't tell you how good it felt. Some muscles that had been sleeping all winter were creaking, groaning, and making deals with me.

Blading along the Hudson River is like visiting an old friend. Each year, I see some familiar sights along with evidence of change. Gone is the burger shack that provided a dietary, and mental, respite after a long blade down along the river. I don't know if it's coming back, but sitting at one of their picnic tables in the sun, while chowing down a burger, was a bit of summer I liked to keep in my pocket. Oh, well.

As always, I like to take pictures as I go along. This is one of the rare occasions when I feel my mind actually calm down. I actually pause to enjoy what's going on around me, instead of hurrying through my life. So hopefully for the next four months, C will have a much more chilled out M to come home to.

On my way down....


A skeleton of Old New York - the burned-out South Anderson rail yard on W. 70th

The Sanitation Department, a source of endless amusement for me. When it's all lit up at night, it looks like a nightclub. "Yeah, Club Sanitation. Over on the water. You've got to go."

Straight out of The Jetsons - a view of Jersey City from a pier in the mid-30's

I could easily lose an hour just watching the dog run on Leroy Street

New Yorkers will get their tan on wherever they can - (Battery Park, with the Empire State Building in the background)

There was a feeling of being transported back in time while taking this picture...maybe because it was the last time the French were nice to us

***

And then on my way back up again...for the safety of all pedestrians, bikers, and bladers...


But some people didn't get the memo...

a

I love finding old ads for long-defunct businesses on the sides of buildings - proving that relics from the past haven't all been glossed over in the name of Progress (near Barrow and West Streets)

One of the city's most expensive gyms - Chelsea Piers - on the right.

One of the city's best free gyms - The Hudson River Bike Path - on the left.

Big Boat - U.S.S. Intrepid with a retired Concorde on the right

(38th and the river)

A band performing in Central Park

Bethesda Fountain in Central Park, with lake in the background

Yeah, it was a good day and my head felt so clear. Hurtling myself down the length of the city, with four wheels strapped to bottom of each foot, is apparently my kind of yoga.

4 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Excellent pictures, but they made me sooo nostalgic for NYC! Husband (an Englishman, like your own, as I understand) and I last came in March 2002, too long ago! Hmm, time to arrange another trip, methinks...

Keep up the blading and have fun!

PS: I stumbled upon your blog by clicking on the Next Blog button incessantly. It's great fun (your blog, not the incessant blog-hopping).

2:06 PM  
Blogger the damn boy said...

Very great pictures!!! I'll definitely be visiting some of those locations in the pictures when I visit NY in a couple weeks' time. I should dust off my shoes and start making some deals with my own bones for some heavy duty walking.

Lovely pictures!!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Currin Girl said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them - it was just as much fun taking them.

Red - I wonder if you are you a Yank or a Brit?

11:45 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Hi Currin Girl,

I'm neither, actually! I'm Italian but have lived in the UK for many years now.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home