Tuesday, April 25, 2006

No soup for me

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"


"What was that?!?!?!"
a
"M just found out her favorite Campbell's soup is being discontinued"

After searching high and low, my local supermarket manager informed me that Campbell's Ranchero Tomato soup will soon be no longer. This is a dark day for soup-dom.
This is quite possibly my favorite soup in the whole world. Forget the Soup Nazi, forget Hale and Hearty soup bars with their freshly made, gourmet soups! I like my soup condensed, in a can, having a sell-by date that falls somewhere...oh, in the next millennium?
And I don't mess around with the recipes they print on the labels either. I'm a purist when it comes to Campbell's soups. No E-Z Bake Enchilada or Cream of Mushroom Casserole recipes for me, just soup. It is all about the artifically preserved goodness that lies within each spoonful. Like Nietzche said, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. And I think he was referring to Campbell's soups when he said this. My body could probably withstand nuclear radiation, thanks to a steady diet of Chicken & Stars and Double Noodle growing up.
But the Ranchero Tomato soup has a special place in my heart since its introduction two years ago. With a squirt of lime juice, I'm in soup heaven. Like bowl-licking-until-every-last-drop-is-gone heaven. If I could dive into a vat of the stuff, I just might do it. So in recent weeks, when I stopped by the market and couldn't find it, I chalked it up to its popularity. But when I tried other stores and didn't see it in those places, I decided to make a call.
"Ah dunno, not many people like it. It don't sell," says the manager at my local Gristedes. Red alert! Red alert! That means: Holy shet, it's time to stock up girl! They're taking my Ranchero Tomato soup away from me!

Wait, is that what I think it is? Is he...is the Campbell's Kid giving me the finger?!?

If you thought Andy Warhol was creative, you ain't seen nothing yet. Happily, I've found a website willing to ship cases of 24 cans at a time. So C, honey, get ready. I'm about to buy up every last can of this soup. If I have to make furniture out of it, I will. A coffee table made out of Ranchero Tomato cans. You can use a can instead of a mouse to surf the Web! Oh yeah, by the way? Say good-bye to your junk drawer - it's all about the soup now. Anything we have left over will be left to the grandkids.

So don't be surprised if you turn on the news tomorrow and find me scaling the walls of Campbell's headquarters in protest. This soup junkie is so not going down without a fight!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jinbon H Wrong aka Sloop John B said...

The Cheddar Cheese Soup might pass for soup de jour if they served it every day. Oh, me! I can't think any moore.

1:06 PM  
Blogger jsa said...

What's the deal with discontinuing everything good, anyway? I loved Campbell's resealable tomato soup because it was in big bottles and I could pour as much or as little as I wanted, and then put the rest in the fridge. Gone.

And I haven't been the same since Estee Lauder yanked the moisturizer I sheepishly forked over $40 a jar for at a time. They ask me to pay that ridiculous amount of money, then get me addicted to it, and then out of nowhere--gone.

Rat bastards, I tell ya.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the best things get canned. (hooray, puns!) first, "my so-called life" and now this. is nothing sacred anymore?!

i'm so sorry.

this would make for an excellent ranchero tomato ad campaign though...if only they weren't discontinuing it.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cheddar Cheese Soup works, but it's not the same. I also love this soup and our stores no longer carry it as well. I contacted Campbell's who assured me that they are still making it and they gave me a list of stores that are still selling it, plus they sent me coupons for my inconvenience, but of course none of the stores were near me. Foodlocker.com sells many hard to find items including the Ranchero soup 6 cans for 26.87 or you can buy 12 or 24.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe they have discontinued Campbell's Creamy Ranchero Tomato. It was my favorite of all. Is there any way we, as consumers, can have it reinstated? I vote for reinstatement.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home