Friday, July 07, 2006

What I've learned in Greece - Santorini, Part II

I have loads of pictures to add to these posts, so check back at some point in the near future. We've just got access to wi-fi, having flown back from Santorini to Athens, so we can transfer to Crete. Thanks to D. for the info in the previous post and yes, we loved Athens! Going on to more lessons learned...

#1 Santorini is beautiful. I used to think it was a pretentious statement on behalf of people who could travel all that distance to this little island off the coast of Greece. I was wrong. It's not a designer statement, it's a fact. The sky is blue, the grass is green, Santorini is beautiful. I think quite possiby the most beautiful out of any place I've visited in the world.

#2 There are stray dogs here as well. Do they have a ferry service for them or something? Or maybe they use scuba gear. I mean, how did they get on the island? Personally though, if I were a stray dog, I'd be rowing my ass to Santorini too.

Let sleeping dogs lie in Santorini

#3 There is a very picturesque path on top of the cliffs along the water. This is not just because it's a pretty place to walk and get your pictures of Fira to show folks back home, it's also to save your butt from becoming human roadkill if you walk along the streets. Flashback to me on Tuesday night, sitting rigid on top of a ledge next to the road, refusing to come down after a scooter decided it would be fun to swerve at me. If I didn't know better, I'd say someone announced there was an American on the island. But no, that's just their sense of humor.

#4 Greek plumbing - For the sake of our friendship, all I'll say is that it leaves something to be desired.

#5 No amount of expat bars can alleviate the withdrawal symptoms I'm having for a proper pint of Guinness. I now know how my friend A. from L.A. feels.

#6 Apparently, there were Hobbitt people on the island. No, I'm serious. They dug tunnels into the cliffs and volcanic rock and lived there and everything. When we took a ride around, I actually saw one of the entrances to the tunnels. I wonder if Frodo prefers souvalaki over kebabs?

We've got to go, so the rest will have to come later...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

this is maybe rather late, but i'm trying to find out if santorini was full of chavs too... i really woudl like to go for a week in july, but i hate the burberry hat brigade. thanks!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home