Monday, April 24, 2006

Intermission from life

I've been busy at work finishing another piece for that website, except they want 2,500 words. Man, I hate deadlines. They make me break out.

But in the meantime, I'm obsessed with this music video by a Montreal band called Wolf Parade. And it doesn't hurt that I love the song as well. So I can't stop myself from checking it out every hour on the hour, hindering what little productivity I have.

Remember when you were a kid and there were music videos that were, like, interesting to watch? The excitement over seeing Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star video for the first time was a monumental moment in my early childhood development.

I was definitely never the same again

And they kept churning out more interesting videos, aiding and abetting this addiction. Pieces de resistance from Madonna, INXS, and others who had stories to tell in not only their music, but their videos. Especially Twisted Sister. You can't forget Twisted Sister.

'Cuz they're not gonna take it...anymooooooooooooo!

No matter how cheesy the video was, as long as they tried to have a story line, it was interesting. And somewhere along the way, that stopped happening. It became all about guys surrounded by girls "shaking their junk in their trunk" (I have to use quotes, because I'm getting of the age where if I tried to say that without irony, I'd be a putz).

Can you imagine the auditions for those videos?

Casting Director: Okay, we'll take Booty #12 and Booty #26. Thanks to the rest of the booties for coming today.

Chorus of "Aw, man!" and "It was that spinning class! I know it!"

And don't forget the guys sitting around in the backseat of a Bentley or a jacuzzi, singing about their "bling bling". One after the other after the other. Until we heard it all the way out in Iowa.

"Now the next thing I'd like to discuss with you - bling bling."
a

It was sad to watch the videos and realize they were targeting an audience with severe ADD. Now I think I have ADD, but nothing as extreme as what these guys were shooting for. So when I was messing around on the Web and came upon the aforementioned video, I figured why not? The band is from Montreal, I have family in Montreal. Makes sense. To me, anyway.

And now I'm besotted with it. It's creative and sharp and has something to say. And that's how I like my entertainment served up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home