Monday, September 12, 2005

That sinking feeling

My mother likes to wipe the kitchen sink dry. Not just once or twice, but several times a day. It's a stainless steel sink and she doesn't like it when water shows on it. ??? It's a sink. That's what sinks do. They get wet.

No matter how many times in one day my dad or I walk up to wash some fruit, rinse our plates, or put dirty mugs in there, it's been wiped dry again afterwards. Over time, I have started to feel guilty for putting anything in that sink. For all the dedication and elbow grease she uses in keeping that sink dry. But it is kind of odd. I mean, maybe she walks around the house muttering to herself, "Gotta keep that sink dry, can't have it being wet, gotta keep that sink dry" and we don't notice it. Or the second I turn my back, little elves jump out and start swiping away at all the water drops. I really don't know.

But I do know I'm in trouble when I start doing the same thing in my home. That's the legacy my mother will leave me. Dry sinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home