Friday, August 26, 2005

Visa, visa, joy, joy

C's petition for the K-1 (fiance) visa was approved yesterday. I can breathe now. Something is happening and our road together is really unfolding before us; it's not just theoretical anymore. The night before we found out, I woke up at 4 am and started talking out loud to Zoe, fretting about the processing and "what if? what if?"

What was so wierd about filling out the application was how detailed it was, leading to me wonder what background checks they were going to start running on me. Was that Chunky bar, that I stole in 1980 at the old A&P supermarket in Fort Lee, going to prevent C from getting his visa?

Or what about that I smacked Lindsey Lair on the back on the playground in 4th grade and my "violent tendencies" were recorded onto my school record? Someone would have to give me the forum to explain that she was the personification of 'brat' and she deserved it. I just know the Federal Suits would look up her files, take off their shades, and shake my hand for doing what was my civic duty.

But I digress. The U.S. government has now given C the right to be here as my fiance, and not just a visitor under the tourist visa. He is now legally established as my fiance. People will see him walking down the street and say:

"Hey, that's C! He's M's fiance!"
"Really? No shit?"
"Yup, the govenment said so!"

So as difficult and worrisome this has been so far, and probably will continue to be, that one thought just makes me smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home